Saturday, August 29, 2009

My First Resident

Well, it's Saturday which means that training is almost over...thank goodness. The residents will move in starting August 31st at 9:00am. However, some residents, those that are Fall Welcome Ambassadors (sophomores and above who will be leading FW groups), front desk workers, and students working in the office, move in early. In fact, I now have one resident. This resident has lived in Shilling since his freshman year, which was three years ago. He's over 21, which means he can drink in his room, but his roommate cannot. I actually had a really good conversation with him the day he moved in (yesterday) and once again my job became very real to me. It was easy to talk to him, though. I asked simple but interested questions about school, his home town, etc., basically all the things I will talk to every other resident about. But it went well!

On the schedule today we'll be having our last centralized lunch with the other residence hall RAs and doing a lot of in-hall preparations. That all won't start until about noon, but I am up early to finish up room stuffers which are brochures, cable channel listings, light switch stickers to promote energy conservation and other simple things on the to-do list.

I'm not as exhausted as I have been, and I've even gotten used to getting up at 8:00am everyday. Note to Mom and Dad -- 8:00am is very different than the 11:00am+ I was waking up during the summer :-P.

3 comments:

  1. Amy:

    Thanks for the update. Glad the training portion is almost over

    8:00 a.m.! I don't believe it. I want proof...

    Love,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy,
    5:45 a.m.! You really are changing your sleeping habits.:) Sounds like you have a lot to do today to get ready for the onslaught of residents. I am glad you are rested for them. Your days will go by much faster once they all get there and you have to attend to whatever they need. We're proud of all your efforts to make them feel welcome and that they have you to go to for help.
    I love you and miss your seeing your smiling face everyday.
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. (I know it's not really 5:45 a.m.)T
    It just looks good!
    mom

    ReplyDelete